Ask The Fallacy Nerd

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Genius Game Show

Haven't written in a while because I've been preoccupied with this new game show on TV. It's on almost every night, and I think it's great. It has such an intellectual flare that I just can't get over, and it keeps me on the edge of my seat for the whole hour!

And now, because of inspiration from this game show, I intend to be famous, because I have stumbled upon a counterexample to Fermat's Last Theorem, a conjecture that mathematicians have been trying to prove for centuries.

Recall Fermat's Last Theorem: The equation

a^n + b^n = c^n
has solutions in positive integers a, b, c, and n only when n = 2 (and then there are infinitely many triplets a, b, and c which satisfy the equation); but there are no solutions for n > 2.



I start by attributing an unbiased ranking for the girls on Deal or No Deal?, and when their respective case numbers are concatenated together in decimal base, they form the counterexample n for which the triplet {a, b, c} does have solutions.
I have discovered a truly marvelous proof for this statement, which, unfortunately, this blog is too small to contain. - PF

Labels: , , ,